15 August 2021

Weekly Project Update 6

Oh dear. I wish I had a decent update to write this week. The truth is that not a lot of what I’ll call deep work” was done. I’ve been spending some time on other hobbies and projects, probably to add a bit of variety to my evenings. Work is still progressing on Day One Sync” but mainly in the core of the app, with much of it improving the quality of the code and doing a bit of refactoring. I think I’ve got most of the HTML -> Markdown translation working though, and at the moment it’s just testing it. Some very minor work was done to the UI as well, such as adding the ability to tab between fields, but nothing of substance that is worth reporting.

I did have the opportunity to work on another project that has been brewing on the side for the pass year or so. I haven’t got much to say about it except that there are some fundamental usability tasks that need doing that I have been putting off for a while. Such as with many of the projects I start, I tend to get it to a state that I deem usable for myself, and then loose interest in going further. Usually a project in that state is not one that I deem suitable for sharing with others. Many times I see little point in filling these gaps, which is absolutely the wrong attitude to have if I’d like to get it to state that others would want to use it. I’m guessing that the reason for this is a matter of perspective: as long as the project is in a state that I can use it, then that’s good enough.

In an attempt to counteract this a tad, I’m trying something a little different. I’ve started writing some user documentation at the same time, and it has occurred to me that doing this acts as a decent method of finding out where the holes are. When I try to explain how to setup a server (this project is a web-app) or do a common thing within it, and I find that I can’t do so without writing caveats or explaining why this can’t be done at all, then that’s a good indication that improvements need to be made. Of course, the underlying drive to write this documentation is no different than the drive to improve the user experience for others, bringing us back to the perspective problem once again. I wonder how others handle this.

Anyway, that’s all for this week. Hopefully I’ll have something more to write about by next week.


Projects


Previous post
Weekly Project Update 5 I think writing these updates are helping me stay disciplined to work on this project. There have been times during the last few weeks when I felt
Next post
Weekly Project Update 7 It’s probably just as well that this weekly post is mainly a public journal entry, rather than much of anything else. It feels like I didn’t do a